About Rare Birds Book Shop
Rare Birds Book Shop is an independent bookshop in Edinburgh that’s dedicated to celebrating and promoting women’s writing. Our mission is to help our customers read for fun and help them discover books they’d never otherwise choose for themselves. Our colourful store in Stockbridge has become a must-visit destination for local bookworms and book lovers visiting from all over the world.
We’re on the hunt for a shop manager to help us build on the successes of our first year in business. Your job will be to lead the shop team and create a brilliant store experience for our customers.
This role is well suited to a book lover who wants a job filled with lots of variety, who is a confident communicator and who is energised by the challenge of running all aspects of a store.
We’re a small, friendly team within a small company at an extremely exciting stage of our growth. This is a brilliant opportunity for anyone looking for a job where their contributions really matter where they can roll their sleeves up and get stuck in.
Your role at a glance:
Required skills and experience for this role:
- Previous retail or management experience essential
- Bookselling experience desired but not required; this role would also be perfect for a keen book lover with a background in retail who can demonstrate a passion for reading
- Customer service experience in a previous role
- Experience managing people and motivating a team
- Love of reading and desire to keep up with publishing trends and new titles
- Strong team player with good communication skills
- Organised and can demonstrate a strong attention to detail
- Motivated and willing to take their own initiative
- An enthusiastic, positive and friendly disposition
Full time - will require weekends and occasional evening shifts for events
Salary and benefits
- £26,000 per annum
- 28 days paid annual leave
- Opportunities for training and professional development
- Staff discount on all products
- Statutory pension
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and a covering letter detailing things like your experience and why you think you’d be a good fit for this role. We typically receive a huge amount of interest when we advertise a new role - save us from the horrid fate of reading through robotic applications and instead send us a cover letter that gives us a sense of who you are and why we’d be crazy not to hire you.
Applications close on Friday 1st July